Monday, March 28, 2016

Three Stories, Three Books, Three Personalities

Since the beginning of the year, I have been reading one story after another. March and I am happy to have completed three great books:

1. Mr. Nelson Mandela's Long Walk to Freedom

- My world was truly small then. I must have heard about Mr. Nelson when I was in high school, when he was at the peak of his walk. All I knew was that he was (then) the President of South Africa, a country who stood in the world map during the geography classes. 

The book. Written with so much of hopes and dreams. It tells the rest of the world what it means to stand for your dreams. More than the political insights, I was mesmerized by the way the African stories are narrated. The roots. The beauty of ones roots. The attachment. The pride. Such are the stories of great leaders who don't lose grounds in the face of their political lives. 

2. Malala Yousafzai's I am Malala
- Who can argue with what a person can achieve, small or big? Who will question the potential of a dream? Who dare judge someone by his/ her size? 

Her story is beautiful that her parents dare dream along with her. I saluted the way her parents, especially her father who stood what it takes to dream different. Obstacles may be many, but they keep strong. 

(Here again, I envied the stories around her Swat valley. Described some heavenly.)


3. Mr. Obama's Dreams from my father
- Close to Mr. Obama's second Presidential term, I read his first book, but nonetheless never late. As I flipped the last page last night, I slept with a 'whoa' factoring all through my dreams. Here again, more than the political inclinations, I thoroughly enjoyed reading about his father's side of family - much for a man who had met his father just once. 

The self-analysis I did the few minutes before drifting to sleep gave me justice to the title of his book - how his father's dreams would come to shape him. 


Conclusion
In their respective capacities, the books carried with them the power of hopes, dreams and standing for what you feel is right. They weren't born with silver spoons, not at least the way they share their downside stories, yet they went on to become world leaders. 

I enjoyed their stories because they spoke for the commons. They spoke for what we all covet that we work for the common good. Thank you, good books. And here I jump on to the next...

4 comments:

  1. I also love to read thick non fiction books like you. The topics that you read shows your intelligence and interests to the development of this world.

    Your baby is so beautiful with a happy face!
    Warm greetings from Malaysia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Encouraging, Twilight Man, the way you have tried to uplift my choices of reading materials. Reading the great stories drives me to believe our world is after all getting better.

      ***Thanks, my daughter really is the highlight of the day***

      Delete
  2. I have just read I am Malala. Man, I'm blown by her vigor! Every teenager in Bhutan should read this book, I reckon. So that they know how precious and empowering education is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!

      Let's exchange some good books, again :)

      Delete