Thursday, July 9, 2015

Divine Interpretation of Our/ My Beliefs

Just back from an enlightening pilgrimage cum tour from the east where I and my fellow travellers had the privilege of visiting many many sacred places in Bumthang, Lhuntse and TrashiYangtse, I am compelled to write this wrenching article based on a conversation that took place few weeks ago.

Over lunch table, couple of us were brewing the excitement of a holiday the following Friday - the Birth Anniversary of Guru Rinpoche. 

"When is Guru's death anniversary?" asked the only foreigner on the table.

"Guru didn't die, he is still alive," defended a friend.

"He was born miraculously and he never died. We can see him if we really believe in him," said I, with a tinge of pride. 

A loud burst of laughter followed, more on the lighter note. In the midst of this, our Chilip mate commented, "Why do you all make mockery of the beliefs you all believe so much in?" 

Silence!

"Not really. But this is how we believe in. We believe through these light notes although we may doubt some of the myths," I clarified with dignity and strong belief. 

Silence again.

Anyway, to continue - the pilgrim sites that my team visited in Bumthang, Lhuntse and TranshiYangtse (Bumthang: Kuje Lhakhang, Jambay Lhakhang, Mebar Tsho and Shingkhar Dechenling in Shingkhar, Ura; Lhuntse - Bakha Lhakhang and Guru Statue at Takila; and Yangtse - Gom Kora and Chorten Kora) are full of astonishing stories and with evidences. When faced with such realities, who can deny the facts?
Guru Nangsa Zhillion, Takila, Lhuntse

With folded palms and genuine prayers, I stood in front of Guru Nangsa Zhillion statue in Takila, Lhuntse and asked myself if I really believed in my faith. A gentle breeze washed across my heart, a feeling so heavenly and beyond human, that it made me look up to the sky for answers. As if I was being talked back, I had no space for any doubts. The same feeling was felt in almost every site we visited. It was like I badly needed this pilgrimage to light the candle of my faith, the candle that never exhausts but burns with more and more beliefs. 

I do not want to refute anyone's belief here in respect of what each one believes in. As for me, being born in a country that has rich culture and history, I am more than fortunate. More so the opportunities that I get to visit the sites of great history and from them the peace I bring in my heart. And this gives me the tone of my happiness.

By the way, I don't mock my beliefs; I only believe in them just the way they should be believed. 

4 comments:

  1. Hello Ana, so refreshing to see a post like this.
    I questioned my faith a lot and I still am.
    I feel so strong about being a Buddhist but I know nothing of Buddhist religion. I question what I know. I read a scripture but I don't understand so I find difficult to connect with the scripture. I wish I could cultivate my faith and bring meaning to my life through religion.
    Often I feel , I am a Buddhist in name, and not in practice (Which is true, can't deny that).

    P,s, I called you several times. I think you were busy touring eastern Bhutan then. Talk to you next time :D
    My Love to Lolo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess all religion teach the same principles that we need to be good and do good. Buddhism is no different, except that the deeper you dive into it, the more dawning life becomes. So long as you have prayers in your heart and hopes in your dreams, religion is the way of life.

      P.S: I was thinking of a Skype date with you and Bumchu soon. Miss you.

      Delete
  2. About Guru Rinpoche, i watched several times the talk by Dzongsar Jamyang Khentse Rinpoche, it seems to make lot of sense. Just saying, you might have watched as well. Anyway ultimately it is all about individuality i guess.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spirituality is all about the divine peace one otherwise do not obtain from the mundane world. Thankful that we have enough sources of spirituality around us.

      Thanks :)

      Delete