Tuesday, December 3, 2013

A Working Mother

Then, 24 hours was not enough for me; Now, 24 hours is never really enough! While I very much enjoy this new phase in my life - the motherhood phase, there are few things which are totally out of my hands. One, the tick of the clock!

Just back from feeding, I know tiredness climbs onto me more gracefully than lethargy. Morning hours are all rushed up. For the last ten months, my Hubby has been so cooperative that he prepared breakfast, packed the lunch boxes for the three elder girls and dropped them to school. But how much can you expect your man to do these chores?

These days Lolo is kind enough to sleep at least until 8 a.m. but surprisingly at times the moment I am out of bed, she opens her tiny eyes following my movement. This kinda shows how mother and child are connected! Still, she is such an amiable child and doesn't bother me until I am done with the kitchen work. First, I need to broom the whole house (the terrible OCD I have), then breakfast, then Lolo's food for the day and finally the five-minute slot to get myself dressed up. Every morning, we are used to running few minutes later than the projected time.

Honestly, when I was to join back to work after my maternity leave, how I wished I could stay home for a longer time with Lolo. My heart broke each time I kissed her good-bye until next. And this routine has brought us to the 11th month since. Today, I look back - am I not glad that I stood? Yes, I am. 

Like I and Aue Tashi discussed over tea during our last meeting, giving up one's career for the children is sacrificial and good in one way, but if you look deeper into the matter, there is so much you will miss out making this choice. As a working mother, no doubt that life is gun-on-your-head but a larger part of the appreciation is how you manage the little time you have in hand. Work in office keeps mounting and calling; you may crib, burst or hoard but you do it anyway. Being home doesn't spare you from the normal chores plus the thousand more with the baby, and you do those anyway as well. Social life becomes a little tight with less time for family and friends but again the beauty of having someone more precious to take care of. Financial calculations are on the miserly side and you become such good accountants! Shopping is more fun because you can toy up your child and exhibit a bit of your creation. 

My friend Kuenza puts it this way, "We working mothers are good managers, people should recruit us for bigger responsibilities." I like that and I agree to her every word. Yes, we skill the management arts being working mothers and we are overwhelmingly patient with many people, with many things. By the way, when was the last time I lost my temper? See, I can't remember that!

When I think of the 'woes of a working mother', I salute all women who share the same mixed feelings like me. One day, as I narrate the childhood stories to Lolo, I will tell her this that she taught me more than I could have taught her. I didn't give up my work for her, and I will also NOT give her up for anything else. Hence, I don't mind this tiredness right now and I have this energy to smile as I write this article.


8 comments:

  1. Congratulation for the courage you working mothers have, not just in surviving but also celebrating it.
    By the way, one thing that makes you dead tired is your own OCD, get over it and you will do even better as working mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, my family thinks I would be better as a Headmistress of a Primary school. I fear that eats up half my energy.

      Delete
  2. Life of mother in not an easy task,...Mother is the greatest being on earth and we should really respect from our heart and soul,....we know the hardship of mother being working all day and night. Thanks you for being mother on earth....thanks you for posting this article and i have learned the role of mother!,.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What we (or I) do may not be even half of what other mothers do, but if you really look into the lives of women and mothers alike, we realize that respect is one thing they deserve! By this, I don't mean to say men are any lesser.

      Delete
  3. Keep up your spirit Luzee!!! There are lots of super woman out there like you :) The time and dedication given to our families are priceless!!! Enjoy every moment of your life :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Rima :) This is one superior potential of us women that we are multi-tasking and so full of energy! It only reinforces my respect to all the working women in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly, we learn more things as mothers than we do any time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Can't find a better chance.

      Delete